ADVISING BRITISH EXPATS – TAX AND FINANCIAL PLANNING
In our global world, many UK individuals choose to live and work overseas for a period of months or years. The decision to move abroad has many implications, affecting finances, housing, family matters and much more.
In this extensive new volume, two ex-Big 4 tax specialists, themselves British expats, share a wealth of personal and professional experience. The book guides readers through all stages, from preparing to travel, to arriving in the overseas country, looking after local tax and financial matters, housing, financial and pension planning, and eventual return to the UK.
Topics covered include:
– statutory residence test, including split-year treatment and interaction with countries with no income tax liability;
– non-resident CGT, including recent contradictory case law re penalties for late returns;
– the need for pre-departure advice for individuals moving overseas, with many practical issues arising;
– NIC considerations for those moving overseas, including practical effects for expats of proposed changes from April 2019;
– safeguarding returning expats in relation to unforeseen tax charges on investments (e.g. portfolio bonds);
– wills preparation advice;
– protecting advisers in relation to money laundering, data protection, bribery, anti-avoidance measures, etc;
– extensive coverage of UK tax issues as they affect internationally mobile employees; and
– a huge range of practical and technical advice for expats and their professional advisers.
Jon Golding ATT (Fellow) TEP has worked for PwC, KPMG, EY and more recently Absolute Financial Solutions, advising expatriates on tax and financial strategies.
Juliet Connolly BA (Hons) ACA CTA is also an expat. She left her Big 4 role in 2002 to set up her own business, UK Expat, advising and assisting expatriates all over the world on their UK tax affairs.
- UK taxation aspects
- Selling or letting the UK property
- Pensions and insurances
- Preparing to leave the UK
- Overseas tax and investment planning
- Returning home
- Back home